I am delighted to be participating in the holiday blog series “Holiday Bake, Craft & Sew Along“. Each day this month a blogger will be guest posting over at A Southern Fairytale sharing holiday themed recipes, treats and sweet gift ideas. I’m really honored to be included, the list of bloggers participating is such an amazing collection of talented folks!
Holiday Bake, Craft & Sew Along, Candy Cane Truffles
- 1 cup Medjool dates , pitted & sliced in half (I like the ones from the produce department best, softer)
- 1 cup raw almonds (if you only have roasted, use those!)
- 2/3 cup dried cherries , not sweetened with sugar
- 1/3 cup non-dairy chocolate chips , I use Enjoy Life
- 2 crushed candy canes , plus 2 additional for final step
- 1 t . vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract or scrape one vanilla bean
- 1/4 t . sea salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
In the bowl of food processor, add dates and process until they form a ball. Remove from the food processor.
Next, process cashews, cherries, chocolate chips and 2 candy canes until they are finely chopped. Stop before the cashews turn into a powder.
In a mixing bowl, combine the dates, cashews, cherries, chocolate chips and candy canes. Add in the vanilla and sea salt. Mix very well with your hands until everything is well incorporated. This is like kneading dough. You'll have a very sticky mixture.
Roll into 24 equal sized balls. Roll each ball in cocoa powder. If you like a lighter coating, use a pastry brush to remove a bit of the cocoa powder. Finish by lightly pressing top into remaining 2 crushed candy canes.
These keep well in an air-tight container for 3 to 4 days, a week or so in the refrigerator and can also be frozen if you'd like to get a jump on your holiday food prep! This is one of my favorite on-the-go holiday snacks and they pack very well in a lunchbox. I tuck a few into my car for long days of holiday shopping. Enjoy!