Before I dive into this week’s Soften Saturday, I wanted to thank all of you who joined me last week in my Compliment Challenge. It challenged me to find ways to compliment friends without mentioning their appearance. It also made me much more aware of how many non-appearance compliments I am the recipient of every single day. Good stuff!
And now, on to this week’s Soften Saturday!
Earlier this week, my sweet friend Lisa of Back to Allen shared a link to a post from a blog that is new to me, Life’s a Disco Ball. The blog post Heather wrote, titled 26 Things I’d Do If Fear Didn’t Hold Me, really touched me. Lisa suggested maybe we could both write a blog post on this topic. We are both participants in NaBloPoMo, writing a post each day this month. I pondered this for all of five minutes before realizing I was afraid to even publish my list. First on my list of “If I wasn’t afraid” was “publish a list of what I would do if I wasn’t afraid.” Good grief!
I spent the week thinking about what I would do if I wasn’t afraid. Afraid of judgment, afraid of failure, afraid of so much. I jotted down thoughts on this subject while out running errands, while working in the office, while folding laundry. I thought of a lot of things I would do, a lot of things I would say, a few things I wouldn’t do, more things I wouldn’t say…
The list has been narrowed down to the ten I thought of most often this week.
1. If I wasn’t afraid…I would travel for an entire year.
2. If I wasn’t afraid…I would tell people when I am hurt by their words or actions.
3. If I wasn’t afraid…I would have hugged the grocery store cashier who cried this week telling me her weight loss woes.
4. If I wasn’t afraid…I would give hitchhikers a ride.
5. If I wasn’t afraid…I would invite a stranger to join me at a restaurant when we are both dining alone.
6. If I wasn’t afraid…I would say what I really think without worry of repercussion.
7. If I wasn’t afraid…I would ask why when passed over for opportunities or work.
8. If I wasn’t afraid…I would ask friends and family if they ever read my blog or if I just put words here to further pollute cyberspace.
9. If I wasn’t afraid…I would open a cozy cafe to serve breakfast goodies and juices, one sandwich and one soup each day for lunch, cheese boards, desserts and cocktails in the evenings.
10. If I wasn’t afraid…I would work less.
And now it’s your turn! Tell me what’s on your “If I Wasn’t Afraid” list!