Brrrr! After having several days of 60 degree weather in December, Winter has arrived and we are having our first snow day of the season. A great way to warm up is with my Coconut Curry Hot Cocoa. Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and paleo!
This hot cocoa was inspired by one served at my favorite local shop, Christopher Elbow. I was thinking I would go there today with my favorite fella as we have many times before, take a short jaunt across town but then I saw the announcement on Facebook that they were closing early, the roads were getting bad. I even looked up this photo of a previous fun visit to the chocolate shop for the most decadent hot cocoa I’ve ever had. That is Christopher Elbow’s Coconut Curry Hot Cocoa on the left and Ginger Caramel on the right. My favorite fella always gets the one on the right.
Then I heard the snowplow rumbling down the hill in front of our house, only to notice he wasn’t plowing. He was putting down a sand and salt mixture, as we had ice fall before the snow making plowing difficult. The TV continued beeping, saying there was a Winter Weather Advisory, the snow kept falling.
Stuck at home. No Coconut Curry Hot Cocoa today. BUT WAIT! I thought I would give it a go, make it at home. And you know what? It’s really good! In fact, it’s insanely rich, thick with chocolate decadence and just a little bit of heat thanks to the curry powder. It also took less than 10 minutes to make two hot mugs of homemade Coconut Curry Hot Cocoa that made the snow day a bit more tolerable!
Coconut Curry Hot Cocoa
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (14.5 ounces, I use Thai Kitchen organic)
- 2 ounces dairy-free high quality dark chocolate , chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean pasteor vanilla extract
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon curry powder (adjust to your taste and desired amount of spice)
- Dandies vegan marshmallows (optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add all ingredients.
- Stir often, as chocolate will begin to melt.
- Once chocolate has melted, whisk a bit to fully incorporate the curry powder.
- Heat until the temperature you like your hot cocoa has been reached.
- Serve in two mugs.Tops with Dandies vegan marshmallows.
Full Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links for products and ingredients I use in my own kitchen. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link, you will still get the same great price and I will make a few pennies in commission. It is a considerable investment for me to maintain this website, so I am using affiliate links to products I fully endorse to make back a small portion of what I spend. Thank you for your support.