Happy Pi Day! I love when a food holiday rolls around, giving me an excuse to concoct something that tickles the tastebuds. Today’s excuse: pie. I would like 3.14159269359 slices of this one! It’s got a nice hint of mint and plenty of chocolate flavor thanks to cacao nibs in both the filling and the crust.
Often I use soaked cashews or almonds in making raw/living foods pie. Today I’ve used macadamias. Beyond the amazing flavor of macadamias, they don’t require soaking. This works great for me because I often neglect to plan ahead and find myself ready to make pie but didn’t put nuts in to soak eight hours earlier. Macadamias to the rescue!
Pie for Pi Day, Mint Chocolate Chip Pie (raw, vegan, gluten-free, indulgent)
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups macadamia nuts
- 6 medjool dates , pitted
- 2 T . cacao nibs
For the pie filling
- 3 avocados
- 2/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey (use agave or maple syrup to vegan)
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves or 1/2 t. mint extract , extra leaves for garnish
- Set a 9" pie pan nearby
- Combine macadamias, dates and cacao nibs in bowl of food processor. Process until the mixture is well combined and the nuts are a fine texture.
- Press into pie pan and place in refrigerator while making filling.
For the pie filling:
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT CACAO NIBS in bowl of food processor or in high speed blender. Process until smooth.
- Stir in cacao nibs by hand.
- Pour over pie crust and chill for at least 3 hours before slicing.
- This pie should be refrigerated. I like it topped with a generous dollop of coconut whipped cream and a mint leaf for garnish
Are you celebrating Pi day? Wanna join me for a slice?