This year, cucumbers have been the most prolific vegetable in our garden. I’m bringing in several each day. Soon we will have so many that I will be making cucumber chips in the dehydrator. But for now, we’re enjoying lots of salads. This one keeps well for 2 or 3 days and gets better with time.
I use my OXO Mandolin to slice the onion and cucumber. You can also slice by hand if you have mad knife skills. I get thinner, more uniform slices using a mandolin. In the salad pictured, I’ve used balsamic vinegar. I have also made this with apple cider vinegar. It’s a bit tangier than balsamic, but if you are trying to increase your apple cider vinegar intake, this is an easy way to do it!
Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad, A Simple Summer Salad
- 4 cups halved cherry tomatoes , about a pound
- 4 small cucumbers , approximately 1/4 pound, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red onion , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup balsamic or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place vegetables in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil and vinegar together to emulsify.
- Pour dressing over vegetables.
- Toss to combine.
- Dress with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.