I used to love baked pasta. Especially the kind at the fast food Italian place down the street from where I worked. I also liked a version I made at home that was topped with biscuits in a can.
Man, I had some pretty unhealthy eating habits. Looking back, little of what I ate tasted as good as what I’m eating today. I’m grateful I discovered more unprocessed foods, a more real food way of eating. Obviously, one of my favorite things about eating this way is Zoodles, noodles made from zucchini. (There’s a great round-up post of such recipes here.)
Recently I decided I’d give it a try, putting zoodles into a baked pasta-style dish. It works so well! While it won’t cut into loaf-like slices, something that’s possible even with gluten-free pasta, it still makes a very hearty dish similar to baked pasta. I hope you’ll give this one a go. I even snuck in a little kale for good measure, but had to tell my favorite fella it was in the dish, it’s not noticeable. So if you have to be sneaky with the veggies, this recipe may be a good place to start!
Southwest Zoodle Bake
- 2 Small Zucchini , cut into noodles with a peeler or spiralizer
- 1 bunch kale , removed from stems and finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1-15 oz . can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1-15 oz . can tomatoes with chiles
- 1-8 oz . can tomato sauce
- 2 c . shredded non-dairy cheese
- 2 T . fresh cilantro , chopped
- 2 t . cumin
- 2 t . chili powder
- 1/2 t . salt
- 1 avocado , optional
- 1 bunch diced green onions , optional
- 1 small can sliced black olives , optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have a large, deep dish 9" or larger pie plate OR baking dish ready.
- Cut zucchini into noodles using either a peeler or a Spiralizer. Set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, saute yellow onion until translucent. Add mushrooms, garlic cloves and kale. Cook over medium until kale has softened.
- Add black beans, tomatoes with chiles and tomato sauce. Cook until warmed through.
- Turn heat off, but leave pan on burner. Add in shredded non-dairy cheese and spices. Stir to combine.
- Carefully add in zucchini noodles. Stir to combine then transfer to baking dish.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, until it is bubbly around the edges.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Optional: you may serve topped with avocado, green onions and black olive slices.