To make this recipe, I’ve used Banza penne. Banza is made with chickpeas and is a bit more dense than most gluten-free pasta. This also makes it less likely to fall apart or disintegrate like many other gluten-free pastas. This recipe has not been tested with other gluten-free noodles, so please be aware of that when making this recipe. Plus I think you’ll like Banza anyway. It’s high in protein and fiber, lower in carbs than average pasta. Since trying all of the varieties of Banza, I haven’t bought any other gluten-free pasta. I find it locally at Sprouts and have also ordered online.
Instant Pot Macaroni & Cheese, gluten-free
- 8 ounces Banza Penne Pasta (a full box)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter , butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk of your choice (or regular milk if that works for you)
- 2 cups shredded cheese or 2 cups Daiya shreds for dairy-free (the macaroni and cheese in the photos was made with a combination of Colby Jack, Sharp Cheddar and Baby Swiss cheeses)
- -OR- use 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the dairy-free cheese sauce here.
This recipe is made using a six quart Instant Pot.
Combine Banza pasta, water, salt and butter of your choice in the bowl of the Instant Pot.
Lock the lid in place, press "Manual" on the Instant Pot and reduce the time to 4 minutes.
Once the Instant Pot pressurizes, the timer will start counting down the 4 minutes. When 4 minutes it up, quick release the pressure.
When pressure is released (in my model, you know for sure it is released as the silver insert in the steam port disappears), remove the lid. Add the milk to the pasta and stir.
Press the "Saute" button on the Instant Pot and cook until the milk begins to bubble. Once it is bubbling, stir the cheese in. Continue stirring until all cheese is melted.
Serve immediately. Remove any macaroni and cheese from the bowl, do not leave it in the Instant Pot as it is hot and will scorch on the bottom of the bowl. No fun cleaning that up. (Ask me how I know...)