This seems an unlikely time of year for comfort food. Here in Kansas City, we’ve got SNOW in the forecast for the next two days. Snow. In May.
So comfort food it is. And the king of all comfort foods around here is tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.
This is a small batch soup, perfect for a hearty meal for two. It cooks up quick with ingredients you probably keep in the pantry. It’s got a little spicy kick and is creamy enough to cling well to a grilled cheese sandwich.
Speaking of grilled cheese, I’ve got a tip to share with you. Instead of buttering the bread for my grilled cheese, I use vegan mayo. It browns beautifully and makes a perfect toasted sandwich. My favorite non-dairy cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches is Daiya cheddar. I slice their wedge, but am anxiously looking forward to their new slices.
So here ya go, my favorite homemade tomato soup. Perfect for a snow day, even in May.
Hearty Tomato Basil Soup
- 26 oz . box Pomi chopped tomatoes OR 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 T . minced garlic
- 1/4 t . salt
- 1/4 t . black pepper
- dash red pepper flakes
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves , roughly chopped or 1 T. dried basil
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook over medium until bubbly. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a blender, blending until smooth. Or you may use an immersion blender carefully in the pan.
- Transfer back to sauce pan. Heat again if necessary. Serve piping hot with a grilled cheese sandwich.