Dairy isn’t my friend right now. I keep trying to at least get along with dairy, even if we don’t get to be close friends. I indulge in a little goat cheese with roasted beets. I occasionally put a smear of my favorite sheep milk cheese on a muffin. And then body reminds me it’s just not gonna work out between us. Darn it.
This means no cream cheese either. Until recently the only non-dairy cream cheese I could find didn’t work for me on two levels: I didn’t like the flavor and texture and it contained ingredients I would rather not eat.
Last week that changed. Daiya’s new Cream Cheese Style Spreads starting showing up in the Kansas City area. I first found them at a grocery store across town, thanks to Marly. I still haven’t found them at any of the stores where I expected to spot them (Whole Foods, Nature’s Pantry) but did find them at a mainstream grocery store just a mile from home. Crazy!
Here’s the scoop on this new yumminess from Daiya: it has the texture of “real” cream cheese. The strawberry variety used in this recipe contains real strawberries and no artificial colors. It’s great on a bagel. In fact, I bought gluten-free bagels for the first time in over a year just so I could try it out.
And then I made frosting. Boy, did I make frosting. I frosted these cupcakes and took them to the drive-in movie for our friend Dave’s birthday. A gal there was over-the-moon about the frosting. She was so surprised when I told her the frosting was dairy free. That’s my point exactly, you’d never know!
Stay tuned, I’ve got a spicy recipe coming up with another variety of Daiya’s Cream Cheese Style Spread. I’m just getting started over here…
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting: Surprise, It’s Dairy-Free!
- 8 oz . Daiya Cream Cheese Style Strawberry Spread , room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar , sifted
- 1 stick Earth Balance vegan butter-y substitute (or 1/2 cup soy-free variety), softened
- 1 t . vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 T. non-dairy milk of your choice
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together stick of Earth Balance and Daiya Cream Cheese Style Spread. Blend on medium until well incorporated.
- One cup at a time, mix in powdered sugar with mixer on low. Add another cup only after the first is incorporated.
- Once all powdered sugar is mixed in, add vanilla.
- Slowly, a teaspoon at a time, add in non-dairy milk until frosting is the consistency you prefer.
- With mixer on medium-high to high, mix frosting until it is light and fluffy.
- This frosting is best kept refrigerated. It did hold up well in temperatures in the high 80s outdoors, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you are a heavy froster like me.