Oh, how I love a breakfast casserole! My Cheese-y Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole has all of the flavor of traditional hashbrown casseroles but without the questionable ingredients.
In my not-so-healthy eating days, I would make a casserole with a gloppy can of condensed cream-of-something soup, lots of cheese and sour cream and any processed food I could slide in. Today, I try to make healthier choices but darn if I don’t still crave the same foods.
Instead of condensed soups, which I can’t find dairy-free and gluten-free anyway, I make this recipe from The Gluten-Free Homemaker. So quick and easy! In the casserole pictured, I followed the recipe and used hemp milk, cornstarch and added 1/2 cup of sauteed mushrooms. Voila! The equivalent of one can of condensed soup.
Because we are a small household, we always have casserole leftovers. This one reheats nicely. I may even like it better the next day. Enjoy!
Johnna’s Cheese-y Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole (dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan)
- 1 batch of The Gluten-Free Homemakers Condensed Cream Soup
- 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms (add into soup above)
- 1 medium onion , finely diced
- 1 6- ounce container plain non-dairy yogurt (I use So Delicious cultured coconut milk yogurt)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance dairy substitute , melted
- 2 cups shredded Daiya cheese , cheddar
- 32 ounces frozen hashbrowns , the cube style, not shreds
- 2 cups gluten-free corn flake cereal
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a 9 x 13 baking dish nearby.
Make the soup according to the directions. Add in the sauteed mushrooms.
In the 9 x 13, pour in the soup, the diced onion, the yogurt, the melted Earth Balance and cheese shreds. Stir well to combine.
Next, add the hashbrowns. Stir will to combine the ingredients.
Once well combined, top with 2 cups of corn flakes.
Cover with foil and place in oven for 30 minutes.
At the end of 30 minutes, remove the foil and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
Let sit for a few minutes before serving.