Oh, how I love a breakfast casserole! My Cheese-y Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole has all of the flavor of traditional hashbrown casseroles but without the questionable ingredients.
In my not-so-healthy eating days, I would make a casserole with a gloppy can of condensed cream-of-something soup, lots of cheese and sour cream and any processed food I could slide in. Today, I try to make healthier choices but darn if I don’t still crave the same foods.
Instead of condensed soups, which I can’t find dairy-free and gluten-free anyway, I make this recipe from The Gluten-Free Homemaker. So quick and easy! In the casserole pictured, I followed the recipe and used hemp milk, cornstarch and added 1/2 cup of sauteed mushrooms. Voila! The equivalent of one can of condensed soup.
Because we are a small household, we always have casserole leftovers. This one reheats nicely. I may even like it better the next day. Enjoy!
Johnna’s Cheese-y Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole (dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan)
- 1 batch of The Gluten-Free Homemakers Condensed Cream Soup
- 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms (add into soup above)
- 1 medium onion , finely diced
- 1 6- ounce container plain non-dairy yogurt (I use So Delicious cultured coconut milk yogurt)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance dairy substitute , melted
- 2 cups shredded Daiya cheese , cheddar
- 32 ounces frozen hashbrowns , the cube style, not shreds
- 2 cups gluten-free corn flake cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a 9 x 13 baking dish nearby.
- Make the soup according to the directions. Add in the sauteed mushrooms.
- In the 9 x 13, pour in the soup, the diced onion, the yogurt, the melted Earth Balance and cheese shreds. Stir well to combine.
- Next, add the hashbrowns. Stir will to combine the ingredients.
- Once well combined, top with 2 cups of corn flakes.
- Cover with foil and place in oven for 30 minutes.
- At the end of 30 minutes, remove the foil and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes before serving.