Bacon Cream Cheese Stuffed Dates…
I’m 100% positive this never happens to you, it’s only me. Let me explain my predicament:
When invited to a soiree, I should probably take a nibble or two to share. I mean, I’m a food writer, after all. There is a level of expectation that I will show up with food even when it isn’t requested. Like I can magically pull a dozen cupcakes out of my bag. (True story, it happens. You should see what I can put in a suitcase…)
But lately I’ve been a horrible planner when it comes to these things. Life is busy. I’ve got two cookbook projects on my desk. I own a business in addition to my food writing. I enjoy spending time with my people. It’s the Summer of Music Festivals and I’m traveling. Or I’m making a playlist of my favorite bands who will be at the next music festival instead of meal planning and getting an appetizer ready to take to the neighbor’s shindig.
Well, here is the solution: Bacon Cream Cheese Stuffed Dates. Three ingredients, 15 minutes. Boom.
I’m sharing the recipe so you can make it for most diets. I make it vegan with Kite Hill’s new cream cheese and Phoney Baloney’s coconut bacon. You can use regular cream cheese if dairy isn’t an issue. If you prefer your bacon to have some oink in it, use regular fried bacon crumbles. This recipe is for everyone to use in a way that works for them. Ok? One dinner table, everyone has a seat. Do what makes you feel awesome and can be shared with your guests.
Alrighty, here’s the recipe. Have at it, friends. And feel free to bring a big platter of these over the next time you drop by.
The Only Appetizer Recipe You’ll Ever Need: Bacon Cream Cheese Stuffed Dates (gluten-free, vegan)
- 16 to 18 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup cream cheese or Kite Hill dairy-free cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons coconut bacon or regular bacon crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To pit dates, cut a small slit lengthwise and gently remove the pit. This will leave a cavity for stuffing.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese and bacon.
- Insert a small spoonful of the mixture into each date.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes, until mixture is hot throughout. You'll notice it's a little bubbly.
- Serve hot.