If you are using fresh peaches in this recipe, you’ll need to peel them. The easiest way I have found to peel fresh peaches is to cut a small “x” in the bottom of the peach, just through the peel, then drop them in boiling water for 2 minutes, remove and promptly place in an ice bath. The peels will slide right off! I blanched all of the peaches I brought home from Colorado, dropped them in an ice bath, peeled and then sliced them. Once I had that done, I froze them in freezer bags, six sliced peaches to a bag.
Alrighty, let’s get on to the recipe!
Bourbon Peach Cobbler (gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan)
For the filling:
- 12 fresh peaches , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon (or lemon juice)
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot (cornstarch may also be used)
For the topping:
- 2 cups Johnna's Favorite Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 sticks Earth Balance vegan butter sub (12 Tablespoons butter sub)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- dairy-free ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Have a 9 x 13 baking dish handy.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together sliced peaches, coconut sugar, bourbon (or lemon juice) and arrowroot. Once mixed together, pour into the 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes.
- While the peach mixture is in the oven, mix all remaining ingredients except boiling water. Using a pastry blender, mix until the butter sub is in pieces no larger than a pea.
- Once the peaches have been removed from the oven, you'll want to add the boiling water to the topping mixture. Gently stir together.
- Drop the topping by spoonfuls on top of the peaches. (It will spread as it bakes.)
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of ice cream if you would like.