Simple Summer Salad: Zucchini “Pasta” Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
In case you haven’t figured it out, I’m in love with The Noodler. I use the Spiral Slicer with just about any fruit or vegetable that I can. The big surprise to me about this is that I would now rather have spiral sliced zucchini than pasta in many dishes.
This salad is one example of that. In the past, I ate plenty of pasta salad in the Summer. Last week I discovered we had no pasta in the house. Last Summer, panic would have ensued. But not now! I just grabbed a couple zucchini from the crisper drawer, gave them a spin in The Noodler and was ready to make this salad in less time than boiling pasta. So it’s a time-saver, budget-friendly in season AND is a healthy upgrade to regular pasta!
Here’s a quick tip about the Spiral Slicer. Cut a notch in the zucchini as shown in the photo below. Instead of long noodles which can be hard to wrangle on your fork, you’ll get semi-circles instead. If you cut a notch on both sides of the zucchini, you’ll get half moons which closely resemble elbow macaroni.
But there’s more goodness to this salad than just the zucchini noodles. The dressing, which is very simple, is creamy thanks to an avocado. It’s a surprise ingredient, those who don’t know it contains avocado would never guess. I love the simplicity of a 3-ingredient dressing!
I like this salad so much I made it three times in the past week. I’m ready for zucchini to start overtaking my garden. Welcome, Summer. Now do your thing to my garden so I can make more of this salad!
- 2 medium green zucchini, cut with a spiral slicer
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumber
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup hemp or sesame seeds (optional but tasty)
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice, fresh squeezed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Salad Greens (I like this served over a bed of greens like baby aragula)
- Cut the zucchini using spiral slicer and place in large salad bowl.
- Top with all other salad ingredients and toss.
- Add avocado, olive oil and lemon or lime juice to blender.
- Blend until very smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper and give another quick whir.
- Alternatively, you can mash the avocado with a fork and then mix the ingredients very well in a bowl or shake, shake, shake them in a mason jar.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine.
- If possible, refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to allow flavors to marry.
I’m linking this post up with Heather’s Raw Foods Thursdays over at Gluten-Free Cat. Click over there for lots of delicious recipes. If ever there was a time of year perfect for raw foods, this is it!